Same question as last time

Much of my time this past week has been spent thinking about passing the CAFEP, including during conversations about other things. But I think I’m making progress in figuring out exactly what I’d need to do to take it, as well as when it would actually take place. Here’s what I’ve learned…

1) Registration starts v. soon and ends June 18th (the day I buy my last carte 12-25)
2) I need the pré-accord collégial from the Formiris before I could confirm my registration for the exam. I’ve just e-mailed the place in Paris that sounds out the files for this so we’ll see if that works or if I need to go by older, non-technical, French methods (e.g. snail mail, telephone, fax, private courrier, smoke signals).
3) First épreuve is supposed to be at the end of November, with the second épreuve at the end of June (am not 100% sure on this though, that seems like an awwwwfully long time to prepare the orals). So, if I decide to take this test, it’s a good thing I have nothing much planned for July/August.
4) Need to get my Masters degree (and maybe my B.A.) validated, soon. Am going to meet with a translator tomorrow anyway about my birth certificate (for my future CdS) so I will probably just hand him my Mac transcript and diploma at the same time. Am waiting on the UT stuff to arrive. Did not realize my UT diploma is not scannable-size as all I’ve seen is a photo. My mother informed me kindly when I asked her to scan it that that might actually be sort of a complicated thing to do. Too bad my diploma has such a big ego.

Here’s my current thought process:
• If I sign up for the exam and fail the written test in November, then fine, nothing will have changed. I could still look for a job back in the States starting in hiring season (Jan-April) and do things according to Plan B: U.S., which I’m actually just going to call Plan US since it’s not really a secondary plan.
• If I sign up for the exam and pass the written test in November, I’d have to decide whether or not to ditch Plan US BEFORE knowing the results of the orals in June. So I would need a (real) Plan B. I think I could more or less wing Plan B. The only thing that would really be out would be finding my dream job in the States. I could take my chances looking for private school jobs in France, or sign up for the M2 in enseignement and be an assistant or work some other job on the side, or scrap it all and move back to the States and find a last-minute French or ESL community college job.

So, has anyone out there ever validated their American degree? I know the name of a place that does it here, and I imagine they need diplomas/transcripts + translations, and I’m e-mailing them to ask, but in the meantime—can anyone tell me what this usually involves?

Advertisements

One thought on “Same question as last time

  1. I had to get mine done – they wanted a translated version of my course, my transcript, my diploma plus the description of every single class I’d ever taken. It cost me a fortune – something like 500€. It also took 18 months for them to get back to me – my dossier was supposedly “lost” for a while, and then no one really knew what to do with it. And then after all that, they said “Sorry, we can’t validate your diploma, France doesn’t accept non-French health care degrees”. Would’ve been nice if they’d told me that from the start, non??

    But I think this is just a really specific case and that non-health care degrees get validated fairly quickly.

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s