After You Pass: Carte de Séjour, Affectation

So what about after you pass the CAFEP? (Think positive, you will pass!) The two big questions after passing the CAFEP, for me, were:

  1. Where will I be placed? and
  2. How am I going to renew my titre de séjour?

1. Affectation

Affectation (first-year placement) for the CAFEP is similar to the public exam but not the same. For one thing, you will not have done the official saisie des voeux on the internet system. You will have probably sent in your “voeux” in some much more informal way to your diocese, the formiris, or some such Enseignement-Catholique-related organization.

In fact, affectation in the private system varies depending on your académie and your diocese, so, unfortunately, I can’t really tell you much about it. One of the advantages of the private system is that you typically find out earlier and are typically closer to home. I wrote in detail about my affectation process in this post. I found out about my affectation three days after the CAPES results were published, though I already had a good idea of where I would be placed, so I took the initiative and called the school to get confirmation. A friend of mine found out two days after the results, because her school called her.

This is not at all the way it works in the public system, so if you have CAPES friends doing this process at the same time as you, none of their deadlines are relevant for you.

2. Titre de Séjour

Once again, I don’t feel I can give information about this with too much authority because things can vary so much from region to region. First of all, from my understanding, it’s very rare for a non-European without working papers to take the CAFEP. I took the CAFEP assuming that the titre de séjour would get worked out somehow, and it did. For me, I did the usual carte salariée process. At my prefecture, that meant filling out the pink cerfa forms and the OFII tax annex with the help of the Rectorat and taking them in to the prefecture to apply for my carte de séjour. My responsable at the Rectorat told me that she’d never had to do this before for a foreign stagiaire, as they had all been married women before me.

Update about this (2012): For my second year of teaching, I had always planned to ask for a carte de séjour mention vie privée et familiale, rather than a travailleur temporaire/salarié. However, the Rectorat called and e-mailed me at seemingly random times to let me know that I “need a titre de séjour” for next year, without specifying exactly why they were stating the obvious. I learned a bit later that the academic commission that places teachers in June had stipulated that in order to place me for my second year, I had to have a titre de séjour. Once I had my récépissé, I actually had to send the Rectorat links to the immigration laws in order to convince them that I could work with my récépissé, which, bizarrely, hadn’t been a problem my first year.

Update April 2013: For my third year teaching, when I will still be in my same titulaire position, I’ve found out from the rectorat that I have to apply for my own hours because they can’t leave me in my affectation without already seeing titre de séjour for next year. I’ve been reassured that my hours are still reserved for me. I can’t really say much more about this process because I can’t pretend to understand it.

One Last Thing

There is a commission for the Rectorat that approves the hiring of foreign workers once per year. I can’t tell you much about this because the private teachers office at the Rectorat submitted my papers without my needing to do anything. For me, though, this happened after I had already passed the CAPES. I’ve heard of some académies that prefer this happen before you start your stage year.

Next page: Useful Links


One thought on “After You Pass: Carte de Séjour, Affectation

  1. maddash8 says:

    Hello! My name is Madison, and I am an American who passed the CAFEP CAPES and am not sure about how to go about the process to apply for my carte. Do you have any advice to offer? I am currently located in the U.S. Thanks!

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s